Anyone who comes to Jesus for salvation must have at least a basic understanding of who he is and how he meets our needs for salvation. Here is what the Bible teaches concerning salvation:
- All people have sinned. “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” (Romans 3:23 ESV)
- The penalty for sin is death. “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23 ESV)
- Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty for our sins. “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8 ESV)
- We must individually respond to Christ in repentance and faith. “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” (Romans 10:9-10 ESV).
To understand these facts and even agree that they are true is not enough for a person to be saved. Saving faith is not mere intellectual agreement but deep inward trust in Christ at the core of one’s being. To experience salvation we must individually receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. You receive Christ by faith as an act of your will. Watch and listen to our senior pastor Brian Bloye explain salvation.
Below are some important next steps to take on your new journey of following Jesus Christ.
Your public outward confession of faith is an important part of your inward faith. We encourage you to express this inward faith outwardly by getting baptized as your first step of obedience.
- Learn more about salvation, prayer, and reading the bible. Listen to the following short messages:
Join a starting point group
A Starting Point group is a conversational environment where people can explore faith and experience community. Starting Point groups are a safe place for people with questions about faith, as well as those who want to learn about the Bible and Christianity. Groups meet for about 10 weeks and together explore the grand story of the Bible. One of the goals of Starting Point is to help participants find their places in the story. Go to WestRidge.com/StartingPoint to sign up for our next starting point group.
Start a Bible reading plan
We suggest starting with reading plan from youversion.com. If you are starting a reading plan or purchasing a bible we encourage you to use the ESV version. This is the version we typically use to teach from in our worship services.